CEO & FOUNDER OF THE CHANGE LEADER,
A HIGHER EDUCATION CONSULTING FIRM
Dr. Drumm McNaughton is a Higher Ed consultant, innovator, strategic management pioneer, mergers and acquisition specialist, accreditation and turnaround expert, and governance professional.
He has P&L experience in multiple industries, having stimulated transformation that propelled double-digit growth for colleges and universities, startups, and Fortune 500 companies.
He has significant international experience, lived overseas for 19 years, and worked/traveled in 50+ countries.
He is frequently called on to solve some of the most challenging issues, including:
- Getting higher education, colleges, and universities off probation from their accreditation bodies
- Installing best practices board governance processes at higher education institutions
- Facilitating strategic planning sessions that result in short term business and long-term strategic plans that include risk management plans.
His change initiatives and counsel have resulted in over $500 million to organizations’ bottom line.
PAST HIGHER ED CONSULTANT CLIENTS
Dr. McNaughton is a highly sought-after higher ed consultant with an impressive roster of clients serving both the private and public sector as well as Christian higher education institutions.
A representative list of his higher education consulting clients includes:
- The Master’s University and Seminary
- King Saud University
- Chapman University
- Central Michigan University
- EC-Council University
- Capella University
- Trident University
BEYOND HIGHER ED
In addition to his higher ed consulting clients, he has worked and consulted with multiple other industries, including:
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Fortune 500 companies such as Dell Computer and DuPont
- High tech startups
- Nonprofits including the US standards body for management consultants
- Professional associations including the American Board of Orthodontics and Tennessee Dental Association
- Military organizations such as the US Air Force Reserve and US Navy
- NGOs including the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
He also served in the U.S. Navy as a Mission and Aircraft Commander for Navy reconnaissance aircraft, where he reached the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
BOARDS OF DIRECTOR
In addition to consulting, he is an active independent board member, with 15+ years of board experience in multiple industries.
This list includes:
- LIGS University (Chair, Nominating and Governance Committee)
- International Council of Management Consulting Institutes (Board Secretary and Lead Director)
- Institute of Management Consultants USA (multiple positions including Chair and CEO, Vice-Chair, Chair of Nominations Committee, and Chair of the Executive / Operations Committee)
- Smarter Planet Enterprises Corp.
He is certified as a Board Leadership Fellow by the National Association of Corporate Directors and has moderated two panels on education at the National Association of Corporate Directors’ Annual Global Leadership Summit in Washington, DC (2018 and 2019). Additionally, his knowledge and expertise as a higher education consultant has resulted in him being selected as a senior consultant for the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges.
Dr. McNaughton has been recognized for excellence throughout his career, including been named Chair Emeritus, Fellow, and Life Member of the Institute of Management Consultants USA.
Dr. McNaughton earned his Ph.D. and MA in Human & Organizational Systems from the Fielding Graduate Institute and a BS in Physics from the U.S. Naval Academy.
SPEAKER AND PRESENTER
Dr. Drumm McNaughton frequently presents at major higher ed conferences, facilitates seminars and training, and provides webinars for higher education leaders. Please visit his speaker page for more information.
Dr. McNaugton is the host of the Changing Higher Ed Podcast dedicated to helping college and university leaders improve their institutions. His podcast guests are among the top experts in the higher education industry.
He and his wife live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and he enjoys golf, traveling (especially to Hawaii), reading, and working out.